Today is Wednesday! And that calls for a Whole Wheat & Grains Recipe. Here’s a sweet Dark Chocolate Almond Biscotti for you to enjoy!
2 cups whole-wheat flour
2 tablespoons flaxseed
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
2 large egg whites
1 large egg
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2/3 cup dark chocolate chips (such as Hershey’s)
3/4 cup unsalted almonds
1. Preheat oven to 350°.
2. Weigh or lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups, level using a knife.
3. Combine flour, flaxseed, soda, and salt in a bowl, stir with a whisk.
4. Combine sugars, egg whites, and egg in a bowl, beat with a mixer at high speed for 2 minutes. Add vanilla, mix well. Add flour mixture to egg mixture, stir until combined. Fold in chocolate chips and almonds.
5. Divide dough into 3 equal portions. Roll each portion into a 6-inch-long roll. Arrange rolls 3 inches apart on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Pat to a 1-inch thickness. Bake at 350° for 28 minutes or until firm.
6. Remove rolls from baking sheet then cool 10 minutes on a wire rack. Cut rolls diagonally into 30 (1/2-inch) slices. Place, cut sides down, on a baking sheet. Reduce oven temperature to 325°; bake 7 minutes. Turn cookies over, bake another 7 minutes (cookies will be slightly soft in center but will harden as they cool). Remove from baking sheet and let it cool on wire rack.
7. Serve fresh.